Parish council information
About the Parish Council
Cley is a parish in the District of North Norfolk. Our Parliamentary Constituency is North Norfolk. There are currently 375 residents on the electoral role. The Parish Council has 7 members and a part time Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer.
Our members are elected to the Council every 4 years. Elections will take place again in May 2019. We have a Chairman who is elected annually.
We have a District Councillor who represents us at North Norfolk District Council. We are part of the High Heath Ward of the District Council. We also have a County Councillor who represents us at the County Council as part of the Holt division.
About our meetings
We meet every month except August and always the first Tuesday in the month at 7.30 p.m. Our meetings take place a Cley Social Club which is at the back of the Village Hall, in the Fairstead. Please visit our meeting dates section for more information on this. Our meetings follow the same format and include:
- Reports from District and County Councillors
- Reports from the Allotments and Parish Hall Committee
- Opportunity for public question time
- Planning Applications to be considered
- Correspondence and financial matters.
- We will also talk about our projects.
About your Councillors and Clerk
- Our minutes, and agendas are all put on the notice board which is in High Street and they are also published on this website. Please visit our agendas and minutes section for more information on this or simply use our contact page to get in touch.
- We are a consultee to the District Council on Planning Applications. You can contact us about any planning application and give us your views.
- Our current project is the clearance of the old harbour area between Cley Mill and Beau Rivage. This work has now largely finished though there will be on-going maintenance carried out. The project is managed for the Parish Council by the Cley Old Harbour Project.
- The finances of local councils are governed by the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2003 (as amended) and this means that each year we have to publish our accounts which need to be presented to our External Auditor by the 14th July following the end of the Financial Year which is on 31st March. We also have to have a comprehensive budget and precepting process which we undertake at our November Parish Council Meeting. The precept is the amount of money we request North Norfolk District Council to collect on our behalf to run our Council. Please visit our budget and policies sections for more information on this or simply use our contact page to get in touch.
The District Council
The District Council deal with such things as waste collections; coastal strategy; planning; benefits and also the collections of the rate. The District Council is situated at Holt Road, Cromer and they can be contacted on 01263 513811.
The County Council
The County Council deals with such things as highways and transportation, waste disposal, education, libraries, social services and fire and rescue services and they are based at County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich. They can be contacted on Telephone number 0344 800 8020.
Our Member of Parliament
Our MP is Mr Norman Lamb. Mr Lamb, a Liberal Democrat, is based at North Walsham. His office address is Unit 4, North Walsham Garden Centre, Nursery Drive, Norwich Road, North Walsham NR28 0DR. Telephone number 01692 403752.